Top 5 Free Light Leak Texture Packs To Retrofy Your Photos
Looking for the best free light leaks out there? Look no further! Below, we have some awesome light leak downloads for you to play with and follow- and you don’t have to pay a cent!
What is a light leak, anyway?
If you’re not familiar with the term, light leaks used to occur involuntarily in the days of celluloid film cameras. If there was a slight gap in the box, whether by damage or poor construction, light would leak into the film. It would create lines, washes and more on the image. The results were sometimes beautiful- but, of course, very frustrating for someone looking for an entirely different result.
However, times have changed, and now that you have the freedom to tinker with light leak effects rather then have them rudely thrust upon you by chance, they’re a lot more desired. Some people choose to take the random factor of a ‘natural’ light leak by playing with lens-whacking, a technique that slightly loosens the lens and allows an emulation of that old random effect. But most modern light leaks are added in post production, and can be precisely controlled for exactly the look you want. Mostly, it’s used to create dreamy hazy looks, or a vintage retro look.
Of course, there’s such a thing as too much of a good thing! Light leaks can be horribly overdone, but when used correctly can make for an awesome photo.
Can I make my own light leaks?
Yes, you certainly can. There’s even a host of different ways to create the light leak effect in most modern graphics programs. From creating your own gradient filters to making tailored brushes, creating light leaks in Adobe Premiere and other top programs is a doddle. You can even manage a passible light leak in GIMP!
But…what if I don’t know how, or don’t want to?
If you’re not sure how, but would like the challenge of creating your own effects, there’s plenty of tutorials out there, like http://www.minecrafttexturepacks.com/. However, if you’re more keen to tinker with the effect then creating the effect, there’s a ton of great free light leaks out there for you to download and use. Most of these come as light leak texture packs, and below here’s our top 5 recommendations.
• Wnison on Deviant Art- In fact, Deviant Art is a great place to surf for new an unusual light leak texture packs in general. It’s a site full of artist’s creating their works through various means, and most of them like to share. Wnison provides a huge light leak texture pack in a variety of colours- go check it out.
• Spoongraphics also offer a great light leak pack on their blog. There’s 15 free light leaks for you to try.
• EOSGuy- another Deviant artist [we told you that’s a great place to start looking] has a fabulous Hi-Res Light leak pack for you to try.Checkout This link here!
• For great unfocused light texture packs, try the DA user Draconis393.
• Lastly, PSDbox.com offers great light leak packs for you to snag.
Why not get one of these great free light leaks, and get cracking on making that photo really special?